An Indian film festival, where hugely popular Bollywood movies like "Lage Raho Munnabhai" will be screened, is to be held here to commemorate the 40th anniversary of establishment of diplomatic relations between India and South Korea. The festival will be held at CGV Yeouido, IFC Mall, May 24-28. It has been organised by the Indian embassy with the support of CGV, the Indian tourism ministry ...
South Korea's economic effectiveness remained low compared with those in advanced economies, indicating that the economy depended on quantitative expansion in labor and capital for its growth, the local think tank said Wednesday.Total factor productivity, which measures economic effectiveness, of South Korea accounted for 3.15 percent of its economic growth between 1981 and 2005, lower than ...
Commander of the U.S. Naval Forces Korea, Rear Adm. William C. McQuilkin, left, salutes as Rear Adm. Michael S. White, commander of the Nimitz Strike Group, right, smiles from U.S. nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz upon its arrival at Busan port, south of Seoul, South Korea, Saturday, May 11, 2013. Ahead of the U.S. carrier’s visit to South Korea, North Korea on Friday called ...
South Korea planned to launch 2 trillion won ($1.8 billion) worth of funds to enhance access to the equity capital market by small, venture companies with innovative technology, the financial regulator said Wednesday."Our growth ecosystem showed shortfall in fund inflow into startup and venture companies that have high risks due to their uncertainties and asymmetric information," ...
South Korea's Lee Yong Dae (front) and Ko Sung Hyun compete during men's doubles at the the 2013 Sudirman Cup world mixed team badminton championships against Jongjit Maneepong and Puanguapech Nipitphon of Thailand in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on May 21, 2013. Lee Yong Dae and Ko Sung Hyun won 2-0. (Xinhua/Zhang ...
The Thirteenth Floor
There have been a number of American films in the last few years that have been built on the notion of questioning What is reality? These include "Dark City," which played with the idea of implanted memories, "The Truman Show," which gave us a TV studio masquerading as the real world, and, most recently, "The Matrix," with its alien-imposed, prison-like virtual world. What these films have ... ...
Wed May 22, 2013 3:23am EDT * Seoul shares rise as foreign buying extends to 4th day * Auto stocks rally on hopes over union agreement SEOUL May 22 (Reuters) - Seoul shares hit a 7-week closing high on Wednesday on robust foreign investor buying after Federal Reserve officials played down the chances of scaling back the bank's stimulus programme, with rallies in autos further lifting the ...
Wed May 22, 2013 1:41am EDT * Crude imports from Iran in April at 4.18 mln bbls -data * Iranian imports for month below expectations * Total April crude imports at 69.12 mln bbls, down 5.6 pct y/y * Dec 2012-April 2013 Iran crude imports at 157,596 bpd (Adds details) By Meeyoung Cho SEOUL, May 22 (Reuters) - South Korea's imports of Iranian crude in April fell nearly 45 percent from a year ...
Industrial electricity sales in South Korea rose last month due to a growth in exports, which account for more than half of the economy, a government report showed Wednesday.Power sales in the industrial sector, a barometer of industrial activities, reached 21.89 billion kilowatt-hours (kWh) in April, up 3.1 percent from a year earlier, according to the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy ...
Two climbers have died while descending from the summit of Mount Everest on Monday night, officials confirmed.The climbers have been identified as Mohammad Khalid Hussain of Bangladesh and Sung Ho-Seo of South Korea.Khil Lal Gautam, official at Tourism Ministry, said that Ho-Seo, who had climbed the peak without supplemental oxygen, refused to put on oxygen mask on returning to tent as suggested ...
SEOUL, South Korea -- FC Seoul, Buriram United, Al Shabab and 2012 finalist Al Ahli advanced to the Asian Champions League quarterfinals on Tuesday.Seoul scored three second-half goals to beat Beijing Guoan 3-1 on the night and by the same margin overall to qualify for the quarterfinals for the third time in five years. Buriram drew 0-0 with Bunyodkor but won 2-1 at home last week, becoming the ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Thistle Charing Cross
I had stayed at this hotel once before, some years previous, so was looking forward to a new review. The ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
North Korea TimesNorth Korea Times | Oldest News Site in North Korea
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The North Korea Times is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive North Korean news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, North Korean news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local North Korea news, the weather forecast for North Korea you'll find it all in the North Korea Times.
From Najin to Pyongyang, the North Korea Times should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
PYONGYANG - A Chinese boat and 16 fishermen held by armed North Koreans for more than two weeks have been released, easing the latest tension in relations between the neighbouring allies.
Owner Yu Xuejun, who was not on board the boat when it was seized on 5 May, wrote on his microblog that his captain called him at 3.50am to say the crew and boat were set free and that they were on their way home.
He told the state-run Global Times newspaper that all crew members were safe.
North Korea has said nothing publicly about the seizure. On Sunday, after Yu had sent out increasingly desperate distress messages on his microblog over the weekend, Beijing revealed that the boat had been seized on May 5. Yu called the Chinese Embassy for help on May 10, China's official news agency Xinhua said.
Yu, who had earlier reported the seizure to Chinese authorities, began publicising the incident over the weekend as the deadline for a 600,000 yuan (64,000 pounds) ransom drew near. Chinese state media then began reporting on the incident, saying China was demanding that North Korea release the men.
Yu said on his microblog on Tuesday that he had been unable to pay any ransom and thanked China's foreign ministry for negotiating on his behalf. ...
- One trillion euro tax evasion to be tackled says Barroso
- Overall economy likely to pick up in Q2 says German central bank
- Pfizer discontinues NHL cancer drug development
- GrubHub and Seamless to merge
- Housing market picking up in UK
- MARCUS Still Hating Breitbart
- LAMBRO From bureaucratic snafu to explosive cover-up
- FONTOVA Protecting sponsor of terrorism
- TIMMERMAN Irans free-election farce
- TAUBE The growing irrelevance of polls
- ESPN layoffs 7000 workers as TV rights fees rise
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- Paulina Rubio to be judge on `X Factor
- Paris Hiltons beau shoves harassing female fan at Cannes
- Simon Cowell to be flanked by 3 female judges in new X Factor season
- Flatulence Eat smart exercise and youll be okay
- Winger Ioane Faces Fitness Race for First Lions Test
- Are your children swimming in feces If youre taking them to public pools the answer is yes
- Over 800 world scientists agree GM crops are nothing short of a bio-war on our food
- Global warming debunked NASA report verifies carbon dioxide actually cools atmosphere
- The never-ending rape of the Camerons
- Rebooting our racial quotas
- Real leaders leave gracefully
- Schools should promote diversity
- Reconnecting with the homeland
- January Jones keeps mum about paternity of son
- Iodine deficiency during pregnancy may lead to lower IQ among kids
- Should baby-products firm play it safe or climb out of the retail playpen
- Young Mom And Five-Month-Old Baby Killed At 7-Eleven As They Desperately Searched For Shelter In Horror Tornado
- Mothers diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- Sony Board to Discuss Sale of Stake in Entertainment Business
- Anthony Weiner Enters NYC Mayoral Race With YouTube Video
- Cannes Apsara Distribution Gets Asia Rights to Harrison Fords Paranoia
- Sara Bareilles Jason Collins to Headline LGBT Democratic Fundraiser with Michelle Obama
- Appeals Court Denies Ronald Tutors Bid to Sell Movies Tied up in Bankruptcy Case
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest North Korea Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Chinese boat with 16 fishermen freed by North Korea
- Japan mulling to restart inter-governmental talks with DPRK
- North Korea sends leaders special envoy to China - Quincy Herald-Whig | Illinois Missouri News Sports
- Senior CPC official meets DPRKs envoy
- North Korean envoy visits Beijing for talks