A SEVEN-YEAR-OLD South Korean girl has died after being struck by the body of a man as he plunged from his tenth-floor apartment in an apparent suicide, a report said. The 40-year-old man jumped from the flat in the southern port of Busan on Wednesday evening and hit the daughter of his neighbour who was emerging from the apartment building, SBS TV station said. The man, identified by his ...
SEOUL (AFP) - A South Korean government commission will probe a $20 billion effort to dredge, dam and beautify four major rivers that has been tainted by charges of environmental damage, cost-overruns and corruption.A statement from the Prime Minister's Office on Friday said 20 officials and experts would be drafted onto the commission which will begin its work next month.Revitalising the ...
Household income in South Korea grew at a slower pace in the first quarter as a wage increase slowed amid the sluggish economic growth, a government report showed Friday.Monthly average income of households with more than two family members increased 1.7 percent from a year earlier to 4,193,000 won (3,722 US dollars) in the first quarter, according to the Ministry of Strategy and Finance.The ...
Two businessmen shed tears when listening to an introduction to the history of Kaesong Industrial Complex on Thursday. Representatives of South Korean enterprises based in the complex held a meeting on Thursday, urging North and South Korea to allow businessmen to enter the complex. Photo: CFP The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Wednesday sent a fax to propose joint ...
South Korean police say a suicidal man jumping to his death killed a five-year-old girl by falling on her as she walked with her parents outside an apartment ...
Empire of Passion (Ai no borei) [DVD]
Nagisa Oshima was never an easy filmmaker to pin down, constantly shifting his visual style and subject matter even as he maintained a consistent focus on the socially marginalized, a reflection of his leftist sensibilities in an intensely conservative era. It is no great surpr ... ...
SEOUL | Fri May 24, 2013 2:11am EDT SEOUL May 24 (Reuters) - Seoul shares rose 0.2 percent on Friday, after moving in and out of the positive territory, helped by firm gains in insurers and banks. But rises were capped amid concerns about reduced monetary stimulus in the United States and a slowdown in the Chinese economy. The Korea Composite Stock Price Index finished up 0.22 percent ...
SEOUL (AFP) - European aerospace giant EADS has offered a $2.0 billion investment sweetener as it seeks to edge out US rivals for a contract to provide 60 advanced fighter planes to South Korea.The consortium announced in a statement Thursday it would pump the cash into a separate South Korean project to develop its own advanced fighter jets, if EADS is chosen for the combat aircraft contract ...
SEOUL | Thu May 23, 2013 10:59pm EDT SEOUL May 24 (Reuters) - South Korean households' disposable income grew for an eighth consecutive quarter on an annual basis but the pace slowed to a two-year low, data showed on Friday. In January-March, the average South Korean household saw disposable income rise by a real, or inflation-adjusted 0.3 percent over a year earlier, Statistics ...
Thu May 23, 2013 10:29pm EDT * KOSPI edges up, but rises limited amid foreign selling * Banks, autos fuel upside momentum * Oil price fall hurts refiners, chemical companies SEOUL, May 24 - Seoul shares edged up on Friday helped by auto and banking stocks, regaining some of the ground lost a day earlier on weak Chinese manufacturing data and concerns about less monetary stimulus in the United ...
Friday marks the third anniversary of South Korea's suspension of all inter-Korean exchanges and trade. Three years ago, the Lee Myung-bak administration imposed sanctions against the North after it sank the Navy corvette Cheonan in March that ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
I caught a cab from the Belfast International Airport, and within about 10 or 15 minutes was at the Hilton ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
North Korea TimesNorth Korea Times | Oldest News Site in North Korea
Newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
The North Korea Times is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive North Korean news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others, North Korean news is a priority.
National news comes first. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what's happening in business, and in the financial markets.
Whether it's the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it's local North Korea news, the weather forecast for North Korea you'll find it all in the North Korea Times.
From Najin to Pyongyang, the North Korea Times should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional, and national.
A North Korean envoy has told a senior Chinese official that Pyongyang is willing to take China's advice to start talks aimed at resolving tensions on the Korean peninsula.
Chinese state broadcaster CCTV reported that envoy Choe Ryong Hae made that remark to a high-ranking member of China's Communist Party, Liu Yunshan, during talks in Beijing Thursday.
Liu told Choe that China hopes all sides work to denuclearize the Korean peninsula, solve problems through dialogue and try to restart the six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear program.
Choe, a senior North Korean military official, visited China at a time of strained relations between the two allies. There are signs that China's new leadership is growing impatient with the North because of its nuclear ambitions.
China has long urged Pyongyang to return to the six-party talks, which include the U.S., China, Japan, Russia, and North and South Korea.
Choe is one of the highest-ranking North Korean party officials to visit China since Kim Jong Un took over leadership of the country after the death of his father in late 2011. Kim Jong Un sent Choe and a government delegation to China on Wednesday. ...
- New US meat labeling rules upsets Canada
- Twitter beefs up security with two-step login
- Royalty Pharma takeover bid fails to find Elan ecceptance
- Wockhardt shares plunge 20 pc on USFDA import alert
- 2 Ford units to be shut in Australia in Oct 2016
- Foreign policy impotence gripping U.S.
- Put a Spotlight on African Women’s Reproductive Rights
- Newspaper unfair to Minneapolis police
- Proposed lower alcohol limit for drivers too severe
- Stockholm suburbs beset by 5th night of violence
- Now a radio that can change scripts depending on where you are
- European golf tour head apologises for using coloured term while referring to Woods-Garcia spat
- IPL fixers should be banned government must act Sharad Yadav
- TV characters slammed for on-screen unhealthy lifestyles
- Janet Jackson becomes a billionaire
- Jennifer Love Hewitt enjoys being in own skin
- DC comics win court case over Melbourne gyms Superman workout
- Modi inaugurates Yoga University in Ahmedabad
- Detoxify quickly with these spring power veggies
- 3D printers may revolutionize more than just consumer products - Scientists can now print human tissue and functional artificial ears
- Cast aside sledgehammer politics
- Call for bridge-building among all
- Stop the accidents on MRR2 with road humps
- Salute to staff at Sg Buloh Hospital Ward 5c
- Risky to leave one’s MyKad unattended
- Sony to Sell $1.5 Billion in Corporate Bonds in Japan
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- Time Warner Cable Pins Senior VP Stripes on Deborah Picciolo
- Boy Scouts End Ban on Gay Members Hollywood Reacts
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest North Korea Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- China reaffirms denuclearisation on Korean Peninsula
- Pyongyang Willing to Take Chinas Advice on Talks
- North Korea envoy hands letter from Kim Jong-un to Chinas Xi
- N. Korean envoy stresses dialogue in China talks
- North Korea willing to take action to ensure peace envoy tells China